This Version Posted: October 29, 2021
Programs for Children
Dental care is not covered under Ontario’s Health Insurance Program (OHIP). Many people do not have dental insurance, and cost is the most serious and common reason people do not see a dentist.
A FREE dental program is available for eligible children and youth 17 years of age and under through the Healthy Smiles Ontario program. No similar programs are available for adults.
Healthy Smiles Ontario is a FREE dental program for eligible children and youth who are 17 years of age and younger.
Children and youth age 17 years and younger are automatically eligible and enrolled into the Healthy Smile Ontario program when they or their family receive:
- Ontario Works
- Temporary Care Assistance
- Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities
- Ontario Disability Support Program
Children and youth whose families have other dental insurance may still be eligible for assistance. To find out more about Healthy Smiles Ontario, call the ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-844-296-6306.
Programs for Adults
There are a few low-cost dental care options for adults available in Port Hope, the City of Kawartha Lakes and Haliburton County:
- Port Hope Community Health Centre Dental Program – (905) 885-2626, ext. 208
- Community Health Centre for the City of Kawartha Lakes Dental Program – (705) 879-4100, ext. 2, or 1-800-461-0327, ext. 180
- Volunteer Dental Outreach for Haliburton County – (705) 457-3111