Breastfeeding is a learning experience for both baby and mother. It takes patience and practice, but it’s worth it!
Helping Your Baby to Breastfeed
- hold baby skin-to-skin
- offer baby the breast soon after birth and feed often
- use baby-led latching (laid-back breastfeeding)
- follow baby’s cues
- learn how to hand express
- avoid using pacifiers or artificial nipples
- avoid using infant formula
- room in with your baby after birth
Ten Valuable Tips for Successful Breastfeeding – Health Canada
To learn more about breastfeeding, call the Health Unit toll-free at 1-866-888-4577 and speak with a Family Health Nurse.