To contact HKPR, call 1-866-888-4577     CONTACT US

Immunization of School Pupils Act

What You Need to Know

The Health Unit is required under the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) to collect and maintain up-to-date immunization records for every student registered in school in our jurisdiction. The law states that parents must provide the Health Unit will proof of completed immunization for: 

• measles

• mumps

• rubella

• diphtheria

• tetanus

• polio

• whooping cough (pertussis)

• chickenpox (only applies to students born on or after 2010)

• meningococcal 

The Health Unit will contact parents/guardians of local students who are overdue or missing certain immunizations required under the ISPA. Families who receive these notices are asked to immediately contact the Health Unit toll-free at 1-866-888-4577 or email us.

Under the ISPA, students can be suspended from school if their

immunization records are not up-to-date with the Health Unit.

Why First Notices of Suspension are Sent

• Students are considered 'overdue' for a vaccine due to a timing issue (E.g. the interval between immunization doses is incorrect; a child received a vaccine prior to the age of eligibility).

• Students may have received all the required vaccines from their health care provider, but these records have not been provided to the Health Unit.

• Students are missing one of the required vaccines and need to be immunized (NOTE: Students may be exempted from vaccination for medical reasons, or by giving a sworn affidavit that it is against their conscience or religious belief. Contact the Health Unit for details.

What to Do

• Check your student's immunization record to ensure it is up-to-date.

• If uncertain, contact your health care provider or the Health Unit to ensure your student has all the vaccines needed to attend school. If your student has followed recommendations in Ontario's Routine Immunization Schedule, no further vaccines will be required at this time.

• If a vaccine is missing, plan with your health care provider or the Health Unit to have your student receive the required vaccines. It is the responsibility of parents/caregivers to provide proof of immunization (or a valid exemption) for students to the local Health Unit.

Additional Resources

Immunization of School Pupils Act - Frequently Asked Questions

Fact Sheet - Keeping Our Children Healthy and Schools Disease-Free

Report Immunizations

Immunization Info and Videos

Exemption Forms

Immunization Schedule