To contact HKPR, call 1-866-888-4577     CONTACT US


- Health Unit Reminds Parents to Update Student Immunization Records to Avoid Possible School Suspension -

Checking that your child’s vaccination records are up-to-date will protect against disease and possible school suspension.

In mid-January, the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit will be sending notices to students in Haliburton County, Northumberland County and the City of Kawartha Lakes for whom it does not have up-to-date vaccination records. If the records are not updated with the Health Unit immediately, school suspensions for these students could start later this spring.

Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act, the Health Unit must ensure students attending school are immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis (whooping cough), varicella (chickenpox) and meningococcal disease. If any of these vaccines are missing, students can be suspended from school. Students may be exempted from vaccination for medical reasons and issues of conscience or religious belief.

“There is good reason why these vaccines are required for Ontario students. Vaccines are free, safe and effective and protect young people against these serious diseases,” says Marianne Rock, Manager of Communicable Disease Control, Epidemiology and Evaluation with the HKPR District Health Unit. “We encourage families who receive a Health Unit notice to take a moment and review the student’s vaccination record and get it updated with us as quickly as possible.”

Local families are asked to follow these three steps:

1. Check your student’s records. For a list of recommended and required vaccines for students, call the Health Unit at 1-866-888-4577, ext. 1507, or click here.

2. If a vaccine is missing, get your student vaccinated. See your health care provider or contact the Health Unit to get any missing vaccine.

3. Update your student’s vaccination records. Contact the Health Unit with the updated vaccine record. Call 1-866-888-4577, ext. 1507, fax the record to (905) 885-5352, take a photo of the updated record and email the Health Unit, or drop off the record at any Health Unit office in Port Hope, Lindsay or Haliburton.

In many cases, students have received all of their required vaccines from a family doctor or other health care provider, but families have not provided the records to the Health Unit.

“Records of immunization given by family doctors are not automatically forwarded to the Health Unit, so the responsibility falls to parents,” says Rock. “For most people, these notices are a necessary reminder to bring their child’s immunization record to the Health Unit so the information can be added to our database.”

For media inquiries, contact:

Marianne Rock, Manager, Communicable Disease Control, Epidemiology and Evaluation, HKPR District Health Unit, (905) 885-9100, or toll-free: 1-866-888-4577, ext. 1486

Post Rating


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)


«January 2019»