This page was updated on: March 14, 2020
Update: The provincial government has announced that publicly-funded schools will remain closed until April 5, 2020.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, schools should encourage staff and students to:
- Wash their hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover their mouth and nose when they cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash their hands.
- If they don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into their sleeve or arm.
- Stay home if they or a family member are ill.
- Get their flu shot to protect them from the flu.
- Avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care homes if they are sick.
March Break Travel
Please note PHAC is advising that Canadians avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice. Please consult the destination page on travel.gc.ca for the latest travel advice.
If you think you have 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, use the Ministry of Health self-assessment tool to help determine if you need to seek further care.
Being Prepared – Public Health Agency of Canada
Public Health Guidance for Schools (K-12) and Childcare Programs (COVID-19) – Public Health Agency of Canada
Helping Children Cope with Stress During the COVID-19 Outbreak – World Health Organization (WHO)