This Version Posted: June 26, 2020
The COVID-19 is constantly changing, posing a health risk for all ages. In particular, it can be an anxious time for children. Along with continuing to practise physical distancing and taking other preventive measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, consider these tips to support your children:
- Help children find positive ways to express their fear and sadness in a safe, supportive environment.
- Maintain family routines as much as possible, keeping in mind the importance of staying at home. Create new routines if necessary.
- Encourage children to continue playing and socializing within the family. Do not organize play dates with other families; instead, get children to connect with their friends by phone or online.
- In stressful situations, children can be demanding and seek more attention. Be understanding. Discuss COVID-19 in an honest and age-appropriate way
- Be a good role-model. Children will look to adults for cues on how to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and manage emotions during difficult times
- Limit children’s screen time
- Seek additional mental health support
Download and print resources below: