This Version Posted: June 8, 2021
Have you tested positive for COVID-19 or been exposed to someone with the virus? Need information about how and where to get tested? Learn what your next steps should be.
On This Page
You Have COVID-19 or Have Been Exposed to a Case
In certain cases, you MUST isolate or quarantine to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This is a legal requirement imposed by the Health Unit under its Section 22 Order issued under the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
In general, you must isolate if:
- You are diagnosed with COVID-19.
- You have the signs and symptoms of COVID-19, have been tested and are awaiting the results.
- You believe you have COVID-19 symptoms (even mild ones).
You must quarantine if are identified as a high-risk close contact of someone who has COVID-19, is awaiting test results or is believed to have symptoms.
Public health staff will contact you by phone or email to give you further direction on what to do and how long to isolate or quarantine, depending on your situation. (**NOTE: Due to workload issues, Public Health Ontario is assisting with follow-up with COVID-19 case and contacts in Northumberland County, Haliburton County and the City of Kawartha Lakes. You may be contacted by public health staff from this organization. Please follow their guidance to help stop the spread of COVID-19).
- Positive COVID-19 Case – How to Self-Isolate
- What to Do if You’re a COVID-19 High-Risk Contact
- COVID-19 Contacts in Schools
- How to Self-Monitor for COVID-19 Symptoms
- COVID-19 Case and Contact Management – Video explains what to expect if you have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Testing Positive for COVID–19: Now What? – This video explains what to do – and what to expect – during your isolation period.
- COVID-19 High-Risk Contact – Video explains what to do if you are identified as a ‘high-risk’ contact.
- COVID-19 Isolation: Enforcing the Rules – If you have COVID-19, you are required to isolate. This video tells you why and the legal consequences of not doing so.
Stop the spread. Get tested for COVID-19 as needed or directed.
- Local COVID-19 Testing and Assessment Centres
- COVID-19 Testing Locations in Ontario
- Tested for COVID-19 – Now What?
- How to Access Your COVID-19 Test Results
- Download the COVID Alert Tracing App
- Ontario’s COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool