Skip to main content Skip to footer

Food Premises Opening

Woman holding 'Open - support local business' sign on the inside door.

A food premise is where food is manufactured, processed, prepared, stored, handled, displayed, distributed, transported, sold or offered for sale. A home kitchen in which food is being prepared for commercial purposes would also be considered a food premise. 

Regulatory Requirements  

All food premises are subject to the requirements of the Health Protection and Promotion Act and Ontario Food Premises Regulation including allowing entry to Public Health Inspectors to conduct inspections.

Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit posts inspection results online. An Inspection Notice is also posted at the location of the premises.

Before you Begin 

Every person who intends to operate a food premises within the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District area must notify the Medical Officer of Health before starting. This requirement also applies to operators purchasing an existing food premise.

Notify the HKPR District Health Unit it you are planning to open or take possession of one of the following food premises types: 

  • Fixed food premises (e.g. commercial/food store/restaurant location) 
  • Mobile food premises (e.g. food truck, food cart, etc.) 
  • Home-based food premises (eg. home baker)

Food Premise Opening Notification Form

Complete this form at least 14 days prior to proposed opening.

This form is to notify the Health Unit of a new food premise, change or addition to services, change in location, renovation or new ownership.

After receiving notification, a HKPR Public Health Inspector will contact you and provide more information regarding the legislative requirements for starting a food business. Public Health Inspectors will be able to assist you with the following: 

  • Structural Requirements – Providing an overview of the structural requirements for food premises 
  • Submitting Plans – Reviewing building plans for newly constructed or renovated food premises 

Remember to research what additional legislation and bylaws may impact your business before you sign a lease. You may need to confirm zoning bylaws or submit building plans. 

The AGCO regulates the sale, service, and consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Whether you are locating in the City of Kawartha Lakes, County of Haliburton or Northumberland County, you should contact your municipal building department for information on the following:

  • Zoning 
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) permit 
  • Plumbing and mechanical permits 
  • Sign permit 
  • Building permit 
  • Plan reviews 

The CFIA administers and enforces all federal legislation related to food inspections and animal and plant health. The CFIA is responsible for inspecting and regulating federally registered establishments (generally those that move food products across provincial or national boundaries). 

The Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs administers and enforces a number of provincial statutes designed to minimize food safety risks for the following: 

  • dairy farms, dairy products and dairy processing plants 
  • the slaughter of animals and primary processing of meat 
  • fruit and vegetables, honey and maple products 
  • eggs and livestock 
  • edible oil products 

The Ministry of Natural Resources is responsible for fish and fish plant inspections for products harvested and offered for sale in Ontario. 

Municipal Licensing and Standards issues licenses to different types of business, trades, and mobile businesses.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.