Make sure that your family and the members of your household are prepared, should a wildfire occur:
- Ensure that you have an emergency plan in place and that your emergency kits are ready in case you need them.
- Stay informed of weather conditions and advisories in your area. Be especially aware of potentially triggering weather conditions, such as droughts and lightning storms.
- Make sure smoke alarms are placed on every level of the home, and preferably in every bedroom. Test your smoke detectors once per month. Batteries should be replaced every 6 months, while the alarm itself should be replaced once every 10 years.
- Remove any fire hazards in and around your home, such as dried out branches, leaves and debris.
- Check with your local municipality and/or fire department to before burning.