Nearly half of all senior injuries occur within the home, some riskier areas are bathrooms, staircases, and living spaces. However, with some simple changes, you can greatly reduce these risks.
It is important to identify and remove and report hazards in and around your home to prevent a fall. For example,
- Keep all walkways, ramps and stairs clear of clutter, wet leaves, snow, and ice.
- Ensure your have enough lighting.
- Remove needless carpets and rugs.
- Keep emergency phone numbers beside your telephone or an updated list in your mobile phone, if you have one.
- Keep a phone close to you in case there is an emergency.
Unsure where to begin? There are resources to assist you in making your home a safer place to live.