When extreme heat conditions are in the forecast, you can take the following steps to prepare your home.
- Install central air conditioning or electric portable/window air conditioning units in your home.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with curtains, drapes, blinds or awnings. Consider window coverings that are insulated thermal or blackout to reduce ultraviolet (UV) exposure and reduce heat coming through the window.
- Use ceiling fans and/or pedestal fans to circulate air in your home.
- Remove heavy bedding, such as comforters, duvets and thick blankets, from beds when sleeping.
- Make ice and prepare jugs of cool water.