This Version Posted: April 6, 2021
Put your well water to the test! Free testing is available through the Health Unit. It’s a great way to ensure your water is safe to drink.
On This Page:
- Health Unit Offices – Drop Offs/Pick Ups
- Additional Well Water Testing Locations
- How to Take a Well Water Sample
Health Unit Offices – Drop Offs/Pick Ups
Service Changes During COVID-19
During the pandemic, the Health Unit is still accepting well water samples for testing at its offices in Port Hope, Lindsay and Haliburton. However, the process is a bit different at this time.
Picking Up Testing Kits:
Testing kit/bottles are available as follows:
- Port Hope – located outside main doors in black and red bin
- Lindsay: – located inside first set of doors in vestibule
- Haliburton – located in the black and red bin situated outside the main door (on 3rd floor of the Dawson Gray building)
Dropping Off Well Water Samples
You can drop off your well water sample at each Health Unit office. Drop boxes are available in Lindsay and Port Hope. In Haliburton, leave samples in the cooler set outside the main doors. Drop off your water sample at the following times:
- Port Hope – Monday to Thursdays 8:30 am to 4:30 pm; only until 10:30 am on Fridays
- Lindsay – Monday to Thursdays 8:30 am to 4:30 pm; only until 11:45 am on Fridays
- Haliburton –Monday to Thursday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, no samples accepted on Fridays
Water samples will be sent to the provincial lab in Peterborough for testing, with results sent back to the well owner. PLEASE NOTE: As of April 3, 2021 and until further notice, well-water test results can no longer be picked up in-person at provincial labs. Instead, people can request to have their well-water test results emailed to them. To do this:
- Email email@example.com to have results sent electronically to you. Include an email address, timeframe of results you are looking for and the location of the water source. Ensure you include your street address or lot/concession number, township/municipality, county and postal code.
For further information about well-water testing, call the Health Unit at 1-866-888-4577, ext. 5006, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Well Water Testing Locations
- Campbellford: Municipality of Trent Hills Office (66 Front St. S.)
- Drop off water samples from: Monday to Thursday (8:30 am to 4:30 pm).
- Coboconk: Municipal Service Centre (9 Grandy Rd)
- Drop off water samples on Tuesdays (Noon to 4:30 pm)
- Minden: Library (176 Bobcaygeon Rd)
- Well water test samples can be dropped off in front of the library on Thursdays (1:30-6 pm).
- Wilberforce: Highlands East Municipal Office (2249 Loop Rd.)
- Effective April 19, drop off water samples on Mondays (9 am to Noon) and Wednesdays (9 am to Noon).
How to Take a Well Water Sample
Watch this Health Unit video that takes you through the steps to taking a more accurate well water sample.